Monday 4 December 2017

End of my CRT search.

I spotted this set ( a BVM 2011p) on Trademe and thought to myself "That is 8 years you been waiting for this CRT, 8 years...." so I had to have it. Unfortunately, I was out bided by $6 but relatively new players on the retrogaming circuit..at $756NZD I thought they can keep it. 2 days later I had an email from the seller describing the dissatisfaction of the transaction and ghost bidding what not. 
I offered a relatively comfortable price for him and we made the deal. Suffice to say I was over the moon and excited over the prospect of owning one of these finally.
The first impression  I got of it was it was really really big for a 20" monitor. It could easily been 2 14" mashed together and still room for a videogame console.



After fluffing about for a day, I came to the conclusion that it only accepts C-Sync ( Raw Sync, Pure Sync, Video Sync...) and you can not use composite video for the sync. Most of the information about the required quality of the sync input is not well documented with people feeding sync into the green input tomfoolery. I put my MVS on the monitor through a supergun that only outputs video sync for case and point.


World heroes never looked so good. It is a quality game that does not take itself seriously.




Next I pulled up the internal geometry test screen. Its perfect.


Now to use something I got many moons ago...my Sync Strike! Basically it draws the required power to enable the sync stripping circuit to work from the SCART cable from the console and you can output C-Sync or H-Sync/V-Sync if you so inclined. I can not exactly remember why I got it but I am happy now that I did. The cool thing about it is you can output 2 sets of video signals from the one source...so I might chain it to the smaller 9" PVM I have that seems to be fussy with sync as well. The BVM also lacks audio input/output. So I will output the audio through the phono plugs from the Sync Strike.


Some MD action here:














No comments:

Post a Comment